Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday Ammon!





September 28th was Ammon's first birthday. I can't believe how much my little boy has grown. He is so much taller than Emma was at that age. He weighed in at 18lbs and was 28 and a half inches long at his one year check up. He is going to be long and lean.
For Ammon's birthday we kept it pretty simple. I personally don't see the point in throwing huge birthday bashes for a one year old. They don't understand what a birthday is and my kids are more fascinated with wrapping paper than presents. Matthew feels the same way but his feeling relate to some experiences he had in Brazil (you should ask him, he will go on and on). So we had a nice little party for Ammom here at home. He had cereal and I tried him on some scrambled eggs for breakfast since he was old enough now. He loved the eggs! He couldn't get enough of them. Emma saw how much Ammom loved the eggs and she decided to feed him hers as well. :)
I've started a tradition with the kids that my mother did for us when we had birthdays growing up. She would cook our favorite meal for out birthday dinner. We always looked forward to it because my mom is one heck of a cook. I'm trying to do the same thing for my kids now. Ammon's favorite food is anything with sweet potatoes in it so I made him a candied sweet potato casserole with melted marshmallow topping and some veggie burgers for dinner. The sweet potatoes were a huge hit with him. He actually ate an adult sized serving!
For his cupcakes I made a basic white cake and dyed it bright blue. I piped some homemade butter cream frosting on top. I just got a new cake decorating set so I had a ton of fun. :) We turned out the lights, lit the candle and brought out the cupcake to sing happy birthday to him. He started laughing and immediately fell in love with the flickering light of the candle. As I was setting down his cupcake I heard this earth shattering cry. It was Emma who was bawling her eyes out because "bay-bay" had a cupcake and she didn't. Jealous much? She was all better once she got her cake and kept saying thank you over and over. Ammon was actually scared of his cupcake. He kept poking it and then would cry and poke it again. I got him to eat one bite but that was all he was going to eat. He was much to full from all his sweet potatoes. He was so mad we kept trying to feed him cake. It was too funny!
After baths we gave him his presents. I bought him a ton of cute clothes and so did both sets of grandparents. Matthew and I also got him some baby's first books from Barnes and Noble which he loves to sit and read. He also got some cars,a teddy bear, some spiderman bath toys and shoes and a few other things from both sets of grandparents. I think I was more excited about the clothes than he was. :) Ammom just wanted to play with all the wrappers and boxes. Ammon decided to finally start crawling that day too. I was so proud!
This year has flown by with him. It hardly seems like it was one year ago I was in the hospital holding this incredibly tiny yet chubby baby boy. Now he isn't so tiny or chubby but I am still cuddling him just as much. :)

No comments: